Conteúdos da Caixa

abril 15, 2024

THE WHITE MARE

We were resting under a tree, after a fight between knights and ladies. It could be ten o'clock in the morning, the sun was rising, promising a hot afternoon.

Marta was asleep and I was leaning back, admiring the horizon when I saw her. A white mare, with honey-colored mane and tail, seemed to reflect the sunlight. I got up, made a sign, she came galloping towards me. She came closer, let me touch her. Then, she showed uneasiness, shaking her head, agitated, but without showing any threat. She circled around, moving from side to side.

Marta woke up and was startled by the scene. I told her that everything was fine, but the animal's behavior was strange. She seemed to invite us to follow her.

We took our mounts and followed the white mare. She led us in a certain direction, an open field whose ground was covered with rocks. We rode for about half an hour, when the mare stopped. We came across a spotted horse lying on the ground, panting. We dismount. I took a quick look and realized he had fractured legs. Marta saw, a little further away, a boy lying on the floor. She called me. I ran there. He was an indigenous boy. He had scratched legs and arms.

The white mare remained beside us, as if watching us.

I asked Marta to get help, while I would remain looking after the boy. She left the package of wet wipes, I started cleaning the little Indian's wounds. He told me he fell when the animal tripped. They both fell to the ground. He said he tried to get the horse to stand up, but its legs were broken. He said that an unknown white mare suddenly appeared. He asked her to go get help, she understood and ran away.

Marta returned with staff and equipment to take the injured horse and the boy.

I looked around, the white mare was gone.

Nenhum comentário: